9/01/2011

Identity Post

During the last couple of days, I had begin living a new life outside of home, Quito-Ecuador.  There is a lot going on in my mind, how will I make friends, advices from people back in Ecuador, detaching my family, making a new one (finding one among my friends). 
I question to myself... when do I really get to know someone? Is it when I first meet? When I look into their eyes, when I know their name, or when I get a profound conversation.  


I have been talking and getting to know people in different ways this week, trying to interact, knowing their interests, or just sharing them...  I have got to know some people for their different activities they are used to make, like jobs, clases or places that they have to be in... And I know that if I am kind and transparent and I try to enter in their eyes, I could actually get to know a part of who they are.  Usually there are all this formats of seeing life.... there are things like age, careers, hobbies, interests, life experiences that gets us to the point of knowing who we are or where we are... But is it real? Things like time? Places were we interact...? Or it is all apparent?  I would say that choices, real life expectations and essential origins (like human history) are that kind of things that define our identities. 

So who really I am?  Why I am here?  This is actually the way I might think… Am I all of this choices that I make, that make a way, a path and a human road towards destiny? 
I am actually kind of worried now about people that now know my name while I don´t know theirs… they had created this identity for myself and me to themselves so that we could interact in between.  It is like if all of the rules that we follow as a community, some of the prejudice that we have for our cultures, our countries and our time is what is actually enabling most of interaction.  Now, what should I say about this words?  I can say that we are more involved with the universe of rules (this human universe of rules) and to the cultural beliefs than I thought we where.


I can also say that we are also connected with our feelings, our decisions and that energy that we put of ourselves towards the physical and spiritual world.  Can we actually change it all around ourselves?  Believe it so… But the world keeps spinning, others identity fills the air out, my body works in certain way in this present, I am looking to my computer, to this words and I am also in a room where there are certain artworks that connect to something from my past, my present and my future.  There are this bricks that are covered with white painting… I can´t see them but I know there are bricks inside it.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Omar,
    Thank you for your comment on my painting "Red Maple in November". I'm not sure how you stumbled upon it, but I have to say that it is a lovely coincidence that you did.

    Raised Roman Catholic, I am not a "church-goer" and have had much trouble digesting the dogma of that religion. I do however pray every day, and for the last few months my morning prayers have solely and specifically focused on the Prayer of St. Francis before the Cross of San Damiano.

    And so, it is appropriate that you, a student at a Franciscan University, would comment on ". . .the stained glass of my wild cathedral, the red maple in November." What makes your comment even more special, is that over that entire life of my blog, perhaps five or more years, there have been perhaps only five comments, and all of them, other than yours, have come from friends that know me personally. Yours is the only comment that came totally "out of the blue". A celestial blue, I would imagine.

    Yes, there is an undeniably spiritual element to artistic expression.
    - Nancy Boudreau
    nboudreau@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a little less than ten years since I first saw your painting and it still makes me wonder when I see it closely, gathered strokes, unity and a compound of a piece that I admire. Let me tell you Nancy, today I am an art graduate living in my home country having made some art pieces of my own, too. I know It is hard to keep up with the world and time literally flies. Nevertheless, while I am inside my home I always try to keep while aways of parties, exhibitions and usual weekends playing around with my contemporary desires of becoming a flexible dancer. Surviving by making some canvas's frames for others to paint. Today I have got to my thirties and I just hope you are doing well, so sorry for not answering immediately Nancy. Hope everything is coming to a point were people write about their identity in a way that they will actually talk of their lives along with nature, as in red leafy metaphors.

      Around the spiritual, let me tell you Nancy, I admire some aspects of a Franciscan life that was taught to me during classes in USA, nevertheless, I still can not acquire the concept of structural politics where boundaries are the prime norm of a citizen and I keep feeling part of it myself, as a metropolitan. When I see the beggars in the street, most of them outlandish and youngsters and I am so super confused to know if they actually have a Saint Francis within them or if they're actually waiting to be easily accommodated in some sort of way. For that I have a tendency to react when somebody sees me and think of myself as a beggar. For I do feel a special connection with a reality in which there is no fond desires to become someone, but to be with someone. I do not know if I am clear with this and I know I do not believe in last names and nationalities. For the same reason while I am with friends I much prefer to talk about contemporary art rather than dealing with ideals and life in general. But, I still think there is much more to be explained, when it comes to maintain some strict way of life place where I make everyday the same form of profesional sustain. Do ask to yourself to be called as a painters Nancy? or Do you expect to be even called a woman, men, citizen with some sort of identity? As I am now calling myself Omar?

      Sincerely,

      A whisper of the empty wind.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I have a couple of gramatical mistakes and sentence structure incoherence, but within the point of understanding one's life basically, what I mean, is that nowadays I pretend to be fine while living in the doubt and I am conscious that at any aspect I will always be the result of a mirror pretending to be me, without understanding what is beyond the 2D behind the frame. I is what I think or belief behind what it is and I do believe that maybe someday within our daily problems and manifestations of the Being, we will get to know ourselves without this many labels.

      Delete